Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Grapes of Wrath

I'm currently Rereading The Grapes of Wrath by: Jon Steinbeck and am really loving it.

But now, everything that I see reminds me of the book. I see old cars I think of jalopies. I got a flat bike tire I think of families patching their last tire while looking for work. When I tell someone about my family I want to say"fambly" instead of family. When I ran my race on Sauvie Island, an island where people often go to pick their own produce off of farms, I thought, "Hm... people pay for this experience" In contrast to the Joads (the protagonists) who were begging to do this stuff and get paid. I ran past an engine rebuilding store yesterday and thought about the book. I saw a homeless person's sleeping area and thought of Hoovervilles.

This book is inside my head in a way I don't think a book has ever been. I wonder if it's just this book or if it's a transition in the way I think about my reading materials. I kind of like it. It gives me a lot more ability to reflect on what I'm reading. I might go on a bit of a Steinbeck kick and see if the others are like this.

Hope you all have been finding some good reading material. I'm off to bed. Got to get up early and go for my run in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment