Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Hello again

I went to my second of two interviews in two days today.

It was a short interview (as opposed to the hour or longer I've spend at "working interviews" with other potential employers) but I think it went well. Unlike my first interview no inappropriate questions were ask. If you're wondering to yourself, "...hmmm, I wonder what an inappropriate question is?" I've compiled a short list of ones that I was asked at the first job interview.
Questions you shouldn't ask potential employees

1. Do I get sick very often? Am I a relatively healthy person? Would I have to miss work because of illness?
and on a related note.
2. had I been to the hospital frequently in the past?
3. Do I have a history of mental illness?
4. How much do you pay for rent? (In relation to how many hours I was going to need)

There you go. I, actually, believe that it is illegal to ask a future or potential employee all of these questions. Plus, the job is minimum wage plus tips that are shared in between all of the employees of the restaurant. So, not great money. I'm worried that it's the only job I'll get but I still don't want to work there. Am I not desperate enough yet?

Needless to say, I would much prefer the 2nd job since the pay is better ($10/hr plus tip out), the tasks more engaging, and the workspace more professional. Also, they operate off of a set schedule which I love. Of course a barrage of inappropriate questions, not being asked to me was another compelling characteristic.

Outside of the employment chase my life continues to adapt to Portland. My body aches, in a wonderful way, from a running and yoga class I took yesterday (and hope to take every Tuesday if I don't have to work on Tuesdays) and my eyes are dry because I stayed out later than I'm used to hanging out with some new friends (yay!). I explored downtown today as it was beautiful and sunny today and I got down there extra early for my interviews.

That's pretty much all that is new in my life. Feel free to leave a comment and let me know what's up with yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment