Tuesday, September 14, 2010

New Cities, Jobs, and Homes.

I went to visit a prospective home today. Progress!!

It was a bit spur of the moment seeing as I called the homeowner and he said if I came in half an hour I would have time to see the place before he left for work.

Even though it was rushed, the homeowner seems nice and the room is a good sized room. Maybe too big for someone that doesn't even own a bed. The roommates seemed nice as well and the kitchen didn't look a disaster. There is space for a garden, and strawberries growing out front. There is also a grocery store within a couple of blocks. It is only 2 short blocks from the bus stop as well.

Indeed, I took the bus from where I've been staying and the bus system does seem ideal. It took me about a half an hour on the 72 bus line. That means if I get one of the jobs that I'm applying to in this area I'd have about a half hour bus ride to work or an hour bike ride.

And that brings us to jobs! JOBS, Jobs, jobs. Today I have applied to a grocery store online, several restaurants, a craft supplies store, and a vegan bakery. The day is young but the window for restaurant applications is over so from here on out I've got to apply to other types of jobs. Maybe I'll check out the old idealist.org

Last but not least, cities: Portland seems really nice so far. It's a very neighborhood like place. A lot of houses with porches and residential streets. Not a lot of fast traffic or angry people (not that there are tons of anger people back east). The place that I'm staying has the welcoming smell of lilacs which makes for a good homecoming after all that applying and exploring.


Vegan Vanilla Bean cupcake with Vanilla Ganache Icing.


No comments:

Post a Comment