Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Doctor, Doctor.

Let me tell you now, this post has nothing to do with doctors.

Tuesday of last week Mamaw had chemotherapy. Nurses took her blood work, gave her shots to boost her white and red blood cell count, fortified her with Magnesium, and hooked up the chemo to drip deep into her veins (with the intention of killing off all of those fast growing cancer cells-but with some adverse effects of killing all of her fast growing cells).

Thursday of that week we went in to get an infusion for her- Just fluids. Nurses tested her to see if she needed anything besides fluids, they made her comfortable with pillows and blankets and generally kept us informed on what was going on.

Monday of this week, we went in for an impromptu infusion (the weekend had been hard and bodily resources were low). The nurses hooked Mamaw up for Magnesium and fluids. There were no doctors in sight.

Today, Tuesday, We went for our scheduled infusion. The nurses communicated with other nurses, they gave my grandma fluids and they did us the courtesy of scheduling yet another infusion that we know we will need.

It turns out, in the world of cancer, doctors have a uselessly busy schedule and never actually do anything for their patients. I am thankful for the care of nurses. I am thankful for their knowledge on the subjects, their ability to share that knowledge and most of all their ability to do. I appreciate everyone who considers becoming a nurse, as well as all of the nurses out there.

Shout out to my older brother who is going to be a nurse. Also, a loud shout out to my aunt, Melissa, who helped Mamaw and I through a rough couple of days and a shout out to my dad for being around and able bodied when we needed someone who can lift.

Hopefully most of you are seeing far less nurses than I am these days but to those of you in my nearby (AKA Virginia) family, I know you're seeing just about as many and I am glad we are in this together.


No comments:

Post a Comment