Saturday, January 21, 2012

Quittin' Time

I'm leaving my job. It's hard to say how long I've wanted to leave this job. It's been a long love-hate relationship with the ol' Slappy Cakes. From an underemployed start as a weekend hostess to the rush of summer work as a server back to sometimes hosting and then over to infrequent serving shifts in the winter, Slappy Cakes (or Slappy Jacks as my dad likes to accidentally call it) has been a crazy ride of strange work scheduling.

Most of the love I have for the place is because my coworkers are awesome. I will miss them so much. However, much of the hate come from the fact that Slappy Cakes is owned by a couple of people I would  kindly characterize as horrible people. Inconsistent and bad owners at best.

Despite or because of this, I am leaving after a year and a quarter of semi consistent employment. What did I learn? I don't know for sure. maybe that I don't want to be in food service any more or maybe that I want to work for owners that care about their workers.

Also, I've got more important places to be right now than working at a silly, over-hyped, kids restaurant. I hope everyone else that works there gets out soon too. That place can turn into a black hole of despair in the wintertime and I don't want anyone else to suffer through it for much longer.

All the best.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, screw that place. Do you have another job lined up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Dan, but I'm coming back East for a couple of months. I might be able to get a part timer there while I'm around. Also, I'll see you sooner than expected :).

      Delete